Preparing to Sell your Home in Nutley New Jersey
Deciding to sell your home in Nutley NJ can seem like a daunting task. There are many things to consider, but knowing where to start can make it easier.
Here are 5 tips to follow when preparing to sell your home in Nutley NJ that will make the process a lot less painless.
- Set clear goals. There are many unexpected challenges you may face when selling your home in Nutley. Know exactly what your goals are and what your ultimate outcome should be. Write down a clear objective. Be specific and detailed about the results you want to see. As you go through this process, frequently refer to those goals and objectives in case you need to course correct. Know what your priorities are. Do you need to sell your home quickly or do you need to get the most money out of your home no matter how long it takes? Writing down clear and specific goals will help you with decisions as you go along the way.
- Hire a listing agent (Matthew DeFede) . Many people choose to go the FSBO (For Sale By Owner) route. Keep in mind that selling your home is a process that is more involved than just sticking a sign in your yard and writing out a generic contract. Real estate professionals are familiar with the market and can assist you in setting the right price for your home. There is a lot of paperwork involved in a real estate transaction that a real estate agent is familiar with that you may not be, not to mention the legal compliance that must occur in a real estate transaction. Most home searches start on the Internet, and it’s likely that a real estate agent will have access to the MLS to list your home that you do not have. Posting on Craigslist simply isn’t enough. Save yourself a huge headache and hire a competent, experienced listing agent that you trust to help you sell you home.
- Create a plan and a timeline. Create a checklist and timeline of items that need to be completed. These items should include: any preparation work that needs to be done, maintenance on the home, cleaning, home staging, dates you want your home to be listed, date the home needs to be sold by, if applicable, how showing arrangements will work, etc.
- Clean your house better than you ever have before. De-clutter your home. Pack up anything you won’t need right away. Put away knick-knacks, photos, and other personal items. If possible, either stage your home yourself or use a professional home stager in Nutley. Clean out your closets and pantries. People will look inside them. Make the house shine inside and out. Keep your house clean and fresh. Hang up fresh towels, keep garbage cans empty, and make sure there are no offensive odors in your home. It’s also just as important, if not more, to make sure your home has curb appeal. Weed your gardens, trim your bushes, sweep your porch, and mow the lawn.
- Prepare to move on. Many people are attached to their homes. Often, sellers price their homes too high because they think the value is more than the market suggests it is. Let go of your emotions and accept that soon, this house will no longer be yours. Start packing early. Put away items you don’t use frequently. Plan to say goodbye to your home, and plan to move on.