Fire on Emmet Street Displaces Two Families
The Belleville fire is believed to have been caused by a ceiling fan in the attic, according to authorities.
A fire erupted early Saturday morning in a Belleville home on Emmet Street and left two families displaced, according to authorities.
Around 9:30 a.m. today, a fire began in the attic of the two-family dwelling at 69 Emmet St., said Belleville Fire Department Captain John Olivieri. Belleville Police evacuated the families before the fire department arrived.
The fire was quickly extinguish and contained to the attic, said Olivieri. The Bloomfield and Nutley Fire departments also responded to the scene.
“We caught it before it ran through the whole attic,” said Olivieri.
The two-family home is two stories and located near Flora Louden Park on a small, residential street.
The attic and roof of the home sustained enough damage that it was deemed untenable, said Olivieri. The families will be displaced until repairs are completed.
A ceiling fan in the attic is believed to have caused the fire, said Olivieri. The fire is still under investigation.