Nutley residents looking to get healthier in 2013 have been given an extension to register for the township’s fourth annual “Wellness Challenge,” according to Nutley Commissioner Steve Rogers.
Registration will now close on Saturday, Jan. 5, Rogers said.
He said the "holiday temptations" of food with extra calories that challenge wellness participants during the holidays led him to delay the start date.
According to officials, this year's program will be significantly different, and details are coming after Jan. 1. It was previously reported that Lauren McCreesh is running the program. Officials said that information was incorrect.
During its first three years, the program was known as a weight-loss event.
The program was changed from "weight loss" to "wellness challenge" to reflect the township's new designation as a "New Jersey Healthy Town," a designation given to Nutley in May 2010 by the New Jersey Health Care Institute, officials said. Nutley is only one of eight towns in New Jersey to receive that designation, they said.
Last year's program was supported by several local companies.
The program carries a one-time registration fee and in previous yearfs was open to residents, school employees and anyone who works in Nutley.
Officials say the fee insures the program's costs are not passed on to taxpayers.
A total weight loss goal will be set for this year, after 3,000 pounds was last year's goal.