Thursday, May 2, 2013
Both 2-year-old and adult victim reported in stable condition.
A woman and a child were treated for injuries Wednesday night after escaping their burning Belleville home through a second floor window. Belleville Fire Department Battalion Chief Timothy Buckley said the woman and the 2-year-old child were on the second floor of the Hickory Court home when the fire started. Unable to descend the stairs because of fire and smoke, they stepped out of a second floor window onto the roof of a single story addition of the home. Buckley said the child suffered smoke inhalation and that the woman suffered second degree burns. Both were brought to Clara Maass Medical Center and then to St. Barnabas in Livingston, and reportedly are in stable condition. The fire was under control by midnight and caused minimal …
Thursday, April 4, 2013
Firefighters recognized for rescuing woman and her cat in apartment fire
This week, two Bloomfield Firefighters were recognized for their lifesaving efforts during a February fire in Belleville. On the morning of February 22, the Belleville Fire Department requested assistance for a structure fire in an apartment building on 750 Mill Street. Bloomfield Engine 1, staffed by Captain David Duda, Firefighter Jeff DeJessie, and Firefighter Erick Stone was dispatched to assist. Upon their arrival, they helped rescue a woman trapped on a balcony on the floor above the fire. The crew climbed a ladder to the balcony and assisted the woman from the balcony to the ladder and then safely brought both the woman and her pet cat down the ladder to the ground. Bloomfield officials said their actions at this incident display …
Wednesday, March 27, 2013
Windows are boarded up but bags of chips were still on the sales floor.
A Franklin St. business closed by a fire on Saturday night was empty the following Wednesday. The Belleville Times reported that the fire began in the building's basement and spread to the back of the store. Scardigno Caterers and Manufacturers had been open for decades until the fire. While the store and the building it occupied appears largely intact from the outside, the first floor windows were boarded up and the phone number appears to have been disconnected.
Friday, February 22, 2013
Kitchen fire makes for rude awakening for neighbor.
Often working the night shift as a nurse, Belleville resident Maria Deocampo usually wakes up around 11 a.m. Friday was different. “I woke up to the cat meowing and the alarms going off,” Deocampo said standing outside her apartment building in a bathrobe. “I smelled smoke and I see fire people telling me to get out. Walking with a damp cloth over her mouth, she found that her third floor unit was too smoke-filled to walk through. Firefighters extended a ladder to her window and guided her and her cat, Chester, down an extended fire engine ladder to the ground. The fire started on the first floor apartment underneath Deocampo’s unit. Belleville Fire Department Battalion Chief Rich Cavanagh said that while the fire was believed to a …
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
Felled branch struck worker.
Belleville police, fire and ambulances responded to an accident reported at the intersection of Continental and Franklin Aves. near a Bank of America on Friday, Feb. 15. Police say a man had been injuried while performing tree work. Police say the tree was being taken down by the workers when a branch snapped, striking the worker. The worker was taken to University Hospital, where the Belleville Times reports he died. During the accident, cars were backed up on Franklin as police directing traffic away from the scene.
Thursday, July 26, 2012
Several Bloomfield families were evacuated from their homes Wednesday night after their Washington Street apartment building caught fire.
Multiple families were evacuated and placed in emergency housing on Wednesday night after their apartment building at 77-79 Washington Street caught fire. Though Bloomfield Fire Chief Joseph McCarthy said no one was severely injured, the 3-alarm blaze caused extensive property damage. The cause of the fire is unknown at this time. “At least two, and up to four families will be displaced tonight,” said McCarthy at the scene. “They may seek emergency relocation from the Red Cross. They’re with the police now.” No one was taken to the hospital as a result of the blaze, which began at around 9:30 p.m. on the top floor of the building. Belleville firefighters assisted in the effort. “There were no civilian injuries but a couple of …
Saturday, July 21, 2012
Three young kids, a teenager and a man died in fast-moving fire that spread across several residences Friday in Newark's West Ward.
Four children were among five people who died early Friday in an apartment building fire in Newark's Vailsburg section, officials said. A 3-year-old girl, 4-year-old boy, believed to be siblings, died in a rear apartment on the third floor, while a 6-year-old girl, a teenager and a man died in the front apartment on the same floor of the Brookdale Avenue building, fire officials said. Adding an even more somber note to the tragic deaths, the mother of the two children who died in the front apartment was giving birth at a nearby hospital on the day of the fire, officials told NJ.com. The names of the victims had not been released as of Saturday morning. The blaze broke out at 1:41 a.m. inside a vacant three-story complex at 31 Brookdale Ave…